Senior / Principal Transport and Pedestrian Planner
Our Client is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services.
They have opportunities for transport planners with around 5 to 8 years’ experience to join their successful Transport Consulting team in London. In particular, they are seeking a transport planner who also has pedestrian planning and modelling experience. The candidate will be highly numerate and have a degree in geography, engineering or mathematical based field with a keen interest in computer science.
Our clients practice is involved in development, strategy and infrastructure projects for public and private sector clients. These include high profile projects such as HS2, airport expansion and major sporting events together with a range of residential, commercial and regeneration schemes in London and the southeast.
They are seeking enthusiastic candidates who are interested in creating excellent places and effective transport networks for all transport users. Projects require a broad range of skills and the ability to deliver quality work within a fast-moving and deadline-driven environment.
The opportunities are suitable for those with core transport planning skills as well as pedestrian planning, analysis and modelling, business case appraisal and preliminary design. Our client uses a range of industry recognised software packages along with our own bespoke tools, including MassMotion, as well as spreadsheets, databases and scripting languages. Candidates should enjoy taking responsibility as part of larger project teams and be keen to broaden their technical skills to support growth within the practice and their own career development.
This is an opportunity for you to join an established team with a strong forward workload, develop your technical capability and shape your career at a top engineering consultancy. You’ll benefit from being part of a broad multi-disciplinary team and gain and experience delivering some the largest infrastructure schemes in the UK.
- To lead small projects and modules of larger projects. You will have an active role in supporting the junior team and your focus will be on ensuring the delivery of high quality work.
- Providing technical support within project teams under the leadership of project managers.
- Taking responsibility for meeting deadlines within project teams and for client deliverables.
- Working and interacting with wider multi-disciplinary professional teams.
- Planning and designing for access by all transport modes, including within major stations and interchanges, urban areas, public realm schemes and at major destinations.
- Analysing, modelling and assessing future transport demands and impacts.
- Preparing technical and non-technical reports and illustrative material including feasibility reports, options studies, transport assessments and input to environmental statements.
- Supporting the preparation of bids and associated material.
- Ensure quality assurance, perform quality control checks on technical analysis and interpretation of results of the junior team
Requirements and Skills
- University degree/HNC in a relevant discipline (e.g. civil engineering, geography, economics, mathematics).
- Membership of a relevant professional institution (e.g. ICE, CIHT, CILT)
- Typically around 5 to 8 years’ experience in transport planning, pedestrian planning, design development and modelling for developments, transport interchanges and events. Previous experience in working in different market sectors, including but not limited to transport, stadia, culture, security and healthcare would be advantageous.
- Proficiency in data collection, analysis and interpretation.
- Experience in pedestrian planning and modelling including the use of common industry software (e.g. Legion or MassMotion or similar)
- Knowledge of using relevant design guidance (e.g. TfL Legion Best Practice Guidance, TfL Pedestrian Comfort Guidance.
- Experience of engagement with local transport authorities, operators and the public.
- Excellent report writing, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work pro-actively within project teams led by project managers
Desirable qualifications and experience:
- Masters’ degree in relevant discipline (e.g. transport planning).
- Legion, MassMotion, VISWALK or other pedestrian modelling tool.
- VBA / Python / R or other scripting language experience would be advantageous
- Good communicator (verbal, written and listening).
- Ability to articulate principles of pedestrian, crowd or evacuation modelling with proven understanding of industry standards and guidelines.
- Good problem solving skills.