Job title: Senior/ Principal Consultant – Ecology & BiodiversityLocation: Bath, London, Leeds, Manchester or Edinburgh (inc Hybrid working)
Our client is seeking a senior or principal ecologist to join their expanding team of international biodiversity specialists. In this role, you will be able to be part of a small team that has a key influence on the outcomes of a wide variety of diverse and interesting projects internationally. As well as being responsible for ensuring best ecological practice is embedded across all of the projects worked on, this is an opportunity to collaborate across disciplines to work on projects that aim to secure climate resilient cities, protect critical habitats and ecological corridors, embed ecosystem restoration into strategic plans, and support biodiversity targets and climate strategies.
This role can be based in any UK office (Bath, London, Leeds, Manchester, Edinburgh) with hybrid working arrangements to suit, and can be offered on a permanent or contract basis.
This role will encompass:
- Providing ecological input to design teams on projects involving regional plans and environmental zoning, restoration and offsetting, biodiversity strategies, masterplans and EIAs.
- Working within multidisciplinary teams, including liaising across disciplines, presenting findings and recommendations to clients, and managing / coordinating team inputs.
- Defining ecological survey requirements, consulting with species' experts (we routinely work with IUCN experts on our international projects) and managing sub-consultants to conduct surveys.
- Advising on the integration of green infrastructure and other nature-based solutions to secure biodiversity gain and strengthen climate resilience measures.
- Advising on the implementation of international best practice such as the International Finance Corporation's Performance Standard 6 relating to biodiversity (it is recognised that candidates may not already have this experience, and full training and support can be provided).
- Project management, including resource planning, managing budgets, and coordinating the preparation of proposals.
- Management and mentoring of more junior team members.
We are looking for:
- Individuals who are passionate about biodiversity and want to help shape the future of development globally.
- A technical background in ecology (terrestrial or marine) or a related discipline, either in the UK or internationally.
- Good research and report writing skills, and attention to detail.
- The ability to communicate issues and ideas to different audiences, through meetings, online presentations and in-person.
- Good project management skills, including planning, budgeting, co-ordinating others and time management.
- Membership of CIEEM or similar professional body, or the willingness to become a member with the company's support.
- In general, having a positive, solutions-focussed, and collaborative approach to working.
What's in it for me?
This is an opportunity to work with a dedicated and passionate team, in a bespoke organisation that values innovation, and real outcomes that make a difference. The Ecology and Biodiversity Management team forms an integral part of the business and helps to shape entire projects by being involved at the outset and putting strategies in place to protect the environment, determine biodiversity priorities and weave best practice and net gain into their fabric. A focus on strategic level overseas projects and partnerships with conservation scientists and international experts, results in a highly varied and interesting workload.
The existing team's ethos is supportive and collaborative and encourages independent thinking, allowing staff to work autonomously, and supporting them to grow their career in the direction that they choose. The team prides itself on the consistent use of best practice and the quality of its work. If you're looking to make a positive impact and create real change you will be rewarded with an excellent salary and access to extensive learning and development opportunities, generous pension contributions, private medical, life, dental and travel insurance, flexible leave, and more.
For further information on this or any other related positions do not hesitate to contact Peter on 07881788772 or email@example.com
Our industry knowledge ensures a unique, valued and specialist service. We actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community and offer every assurance that your application will be handled with the highest levels of professionalism.
For Further Information on Hup Consulting visit www.huphuphup.com