Job Title: Ecologist / Senior EcologistLocation: Oxfordshire/ Cheltenham (hybrid working)
Striving to employ the best and brightest and reward hard work and dedication. Proving technical excellence and an innovative, pragmatic, friendly service. This is demonstrated by being nominated for the 2021 CIEEM best small consultancy.
Ecologists are given autonomy to deliver projects themselves from quoting to invoicing in a nurturing environment. This role routinely involves conducting Preliminary Ecological Appraisals (habitat surveys and condition assessments), Biodiversity Impact Assessments, protected and priority species surveys, preparing quotations and tenders, Ecological Impact Assessment and further detailed assessments. It would be perfect for someone wanting to challenge themselves and develop well-rounded consultancy skills, albeit specialists are also welcome as we are happy for team members to carve a niche for themselves and put their mark on the place. The project-based nature of the work means the candidate must be willing to undertake travel and work away from home with some overnight stays, however, team members are able to achieve a work-life balance so have caps on the numbers of nights away or antisocial hours worked.
Working across the UK with the majority of projects across the Home Counties, South and Midlands.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Genuine and demonstrable enthusiasm for ecology and the environment;
- Experience of phase 1 habitat surveys/ UK Habs and protected species surveys;
- Survey licence for at least one protected species e.g. bats, dormouse, GCN, barn owl, rare reptiles etc;
- Ability to lead field teams and manage projects;
- Willingness to be flexible as required by a new business;
- Excellent report writing skills;
- Motivated to work both independently and as part of a team, often in remote locations and sometimes during unsociable hours;
- Good communication skills both with colleagues, clients and third parties;
- Experience of writing or securing European Protected Species Mitigation licences (EPSM) for at least one protected species;
- Comfortable designing surveys and quoting for work; and
- Full driving licence and use of a car.
- Advanced skills in one or more specialist ecological area e.g. bats, dormouse, GCN, barn owl, rare reptiles etc;
- Member of CIEEM (or eligible if not currently held);
- Degree or equivalent in an ecology related discipline;
- Experience of using QGIS or ArcGIS;
- Experience of line managing and mentoring junior members of staff;
- Comfortable generating new work and networking; and
- Secured European Protected Species Mitigation (EPSM) licences for protected species e.g. great crested newt or bats.
Provided to successful candidates:
- Apple computer and IPhone;
- Competitive salary;
- Professional memberships paid for;
- Unlimited in-house and external training budget
- Colleague nominated bonus scheme;
- Generous pension;
- Unlimited annual leave and flexible approach to work time, balancing a healthy work life balance.
- New perks added frequently, reflecting being part of an exciting and innovative young business.
For further information on this or any other related positions do not hesitate to contact Peter on 07881788772 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Our industry knowledge ensures a unique, valued and specialist service. We actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community and offer every assurance that your application will be handled with the highest levels of professionalism. For Further Information on Hup Consulting visit www.huphuphup.com