Senior/ Principal Highways Engineer
Our client is looking for a passionate and dynamic Senior or Principal Engineer to join their Urban Design team in London or Guildford. With an established track record of delivering a wide variety of projects on both local and national scales, working with private and public sector clients, architects, planners and other professionals throughout the project life cycle, providing services from concept design through to detailed design and construction.
They are seeking enthusiastic and motivated individuals who have 6+ years’ experience and are engaged in or ready to work toward professional qualification. Successful candidates will have a good technical background in public realm and transport design, together with excellent written and oral communication skills.
Our client offers a dynamic challenging job in a pleasant working environment and a competitive remuneration package. This exciting opportunity provides the right candidate with a platform from which they can take on responsibility, help develop the business and grow with the team.
To support the Urban Design team, your activities will include:
- Providing inputs to and leading in the resolution of complex technical issues on multi-disciplinary urban highway, transport and public realm schemes.
- Producing high quality designs and drawings from concept stage through to detailed design
- Producing technical drawings in line with company and client requirements as well as national standards and codes of practice. This is to cover the full suite of drawings at each stage of design
- Working and managing in collaboration with other design disciplines to ensure the integrity of the overall design
- Preparing technical reports under little or no supervision
- Assisting senior team members and providing guidance to more junior members of the team
- Providing professional advice to internal and external clients as required
- Attending sites when required to carry out, manage or assist with surveys, liaise with clients/contractors and monitor works as required
- Ensuring tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets
- Supporting the wider business as/when required to deliver projects, proposals or business development activities
- Keeping up to date with the latest relevant design methods and standards
- Ensuring that due attention is paid to all aspects of Quality Assurance in accordance with company procedures.
These are in addition to working towards professional qualifications and undertaking training.
Requirements for the Role
One or more of the following qualifications would be considered:
- HNC/HND in engineering or an associated subject
- Bachelor’s degree: Engineering is preferred, but other relevant subjects will be considered
- Advanced degree or MBA is a plus
Excellent practical and technical knowledge in, but not limited to:
- Public realm design
- Cycle design
- Bus schemes
- Junction design
- Drainage design
- Section 278 works
- Safety schemes
- 20 mph zones
- Parking schemes
- Utility diversions
- Hostile Vehicle Mitigation (HVM)
- Excellent understanding of standards, including TfL standards, for the design of public realm schemes including, road markings, road signs, parking, cycle design, etc.
- Experience in creating Bills of Quantities.
- Good knowledge of highway engineering construction methods, materials and specifications.
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD and associated software packages like 3D design, road sign design and road markings design.
- Excellent IT skills and use of Microsoft Office suite of packages.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- A positive and enthusiastic team player
- Goal-oriented and ambition to develop and strive to provide good service
- Confidence to work effectively in a high-energy, fast-moving environment
- Good organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure in a busy and demanding environment.
- A post-graduate qualification in a transport-related subject
- Site experience.
- Experience of contributing to proposals for winning new work
- Experience in project/commercial management